Friday, June 24, 2011

Table Time

For the past 6 weeks, 'T' has been doing "table time". She does it everyday for 1-2 hours. This is a common tool that adoptive families use for their children. How long they do it is up to the family. My mom knows families who have been using "table time" for many years, and others who have just started. It was actually quite surprising to me that 'T' had been doing it for that long. "Table time" is a tool used to help child(ren) dis-engage from stresses caused by everyday transitions. Most adoptive children wake up everyday not knowing if their family will still be there, or if they're going to eat again, or maybe this is the day... the day I go back. It's heartbreaking to me to think my little 5 year old sister's broken heart has her worried about these things, something I never have. I can't imagine her hurt and loss but I trust and know that God is mending it back together piece by piece.
Through the recommendations of fellow adoptive families & an adoptive expert, my mom has 'T' currently doing "table time" twice a day everyday. In our house you can't get out of your bed until 7:30 am. It's a reasonable time for the little ones especially, because I can promise you that Erin and I do not get up at 7:30 am every morning just for the fun of it! :) So every morning 'T' gets up, goes to the table with mom's assistance and starts using the fun activities in her "table time bag". A few things in this bag include: polly pockets, coloring books, crayons, markers, plain paper, safety scissors, and glue sticks. It's nessecary the bag only includes open-ended items. (Items that you can't do wrong...ex: puzzles) Of course my mom will take this time to attempt to rest, but usually fails. One of the table time rules is it's quiet time but 'T' tries asking lots of questions... Mom generaly answers with "sshhh, it's quiet time." or "we'll talk about it after table time."
The time of day or how long your child does it depends on your family's schedule and other plans.

Here are few pictures of 'T' during "table time"...





"Table time" is a time for her to stay focused, because it can also help the time to go by faster. We are proud of 'T' more and more everyday, and excited at how much progress she's made in the last 11 months. WOW!


Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and I will try to post again soon!


Blessings,

~Michlyn

4 comments:

The dB family said...

Awesome! I'm going to have to work on doing this with the girls. They are such early risers that this will hopefully help keep them quiet so at least some of the family can sleep in a little later.

Blessings!
Deborah

Michlyn said...

That's great! My mom was very excited to do it as well. 'T' does it from 7:30am-8:30am. (maybe even later) Then she does it in the afternoon at 2:00-4:00. It's very helpful. 'T' gets up pretty early sometimes too.

~Michlyn

Jen V. said...

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Michlyn said...

Your welcome! My mom was happy to "proof read" it. (: